Sunday, April 22, 2007

Yeah, I'm Reprehensible For Even Thinking It

Welcome NLS visitors. Please read the following post carefully, it has been terribly distorted for political reasons by Ben. While you are here please visit the entire site, or at least this post, to learn the truth about me and the ODBA.

This post will not be popular. This one will get me called bad things at NLS and Raising Kaine. This post will widen the "friendship gap" between me and Waldo. This post will not even endear me to many of my fellow ODBA members. But I have to ask the question. And you have to think about it.

I too wonder just how it was that some of the students at Virginia Tech sheepishly lined up to be shot. Let me be clear, I do not know exactly what happened in any of those classrooms. But reports are out that say just that.

Have Americans become so indoctrinated into the culture of non-violence that defending oneself is unthinkable? It could be argued that our schools have taught that very lesson. It began even as far back as when I was in High School at Fieldale-Collinsville. (No, we did not ride dinosaurs to school back then.) After a fight anywhere on campus, both students were treated equally, in the just then emerging politically correct fashion. One was just as much at fault for defending himself as the idiot who had started the fight. It made no sense to me then, it makes even less now. Especially now, when fists are the least weapon to be feared.

I do know that not all of the victims behaved so. I believe Ryan "Stack" Clark was shot while coming to the aid of the first victim, Emily Hilscher. I know that professor Librescu willingly gave his life working to keep the gunman outside his classroom. I'm sure there are many others whose story's will eventually be told.

But these reports of students willingly lining up against a wall disturb me. They should disturb you as well. We need to know why. We need to know what kept any number of groups from rushing this evil and stopping it before it could go further. We need to know what taught them that reaction. We need to know so we can begin to teach the opposite.

No comments: