Monday, November 13, 2006

Who's To Blame? Not Diebold Nor Acorn.

There has been much speculation, both in the blogging community and in the major media, that the recent election was a repudiation of George W. Bush's administration. I reject this premise based on quite a few observations.

One caveat that should be mentioned though, is that in my opinion Bush did contribute somewhat with two of his tendencies. One, and probably foremost, was his reluctance to use his veto pen. Second was his insistence upon regarding illegal immigration as a job creation program.

The Republican voters are who turned the Congress over to the Democrats. Not me, of course, and probably not you either, but the more "moderate" Republican voter. The same one who does not report for duty when the election is somewhat uncontroversial, or chooses not to vote when he sees the result as being in some manner already decided. This Republican voter saw this election as a chance to make a statement on what he sees as a reversal of his ideals. I've stated before that the Republicans who were brought to the forefront by Newt Gingrich in '94 now seem to be nowhere to be found, replaced by Democrat clones in a Stepford Wife fashion in Washington DC. Those voters who can ordinarily be counted upon to vote Republican (when they vote at all) registered their discontent with the party by voting for the opposition. (Keep in mind I'm speaking nationally, not just of Virginia. George Allen had a few other issues to deal with, that do not necessarily coincide with the nationwide rout administered to the Republican Party.)

Exit polls listed as the most important issue to be dealt with by the voters to be corruption and fiscal responsibility. I do not believe that either was George Allen's downfall. It was, however, a factor overall. Tom Delay and Jack Abramhoff, Duke Cunningham, Mark Foley (no relation, please!) and Dennis Hastert's do nothing attitude, bridges in Alaska and a lack of action on illegal immigration all contributed in no small way to create a cumulative effect across the country.

What that average voter did not consider was what effect their cumulative votes might have on the Nation. I hope that the recent election will cause Mr. Bush to use his Veto pen, if he can find it and if the ink has not dried up and the ball stuck permanently. He will soon receive from the Pelosi/Reid Congress legislation that will increase the minimum wage, (check back tomorrow for reasons against this and other issues soon to follow), calls for an immediate drawdown of troops from Iraq, no action (if not a reversal) on making the recent tax cuts permanent, not to mention a renewed stonewall of Administration appointments.

The title of this piece may lead you to believe that I am a "Rabid Republican". Not so. I consider myself to be a very moderate Republican. But I did vote. I voted for George Allen, based solely upon his prior service to the Commonwealth. I voted for Bill Carrico, because he is not Rick Boucher (and because I could post one final vote to cancel out your's Barnie....GRIN). I also voted against the marriage amendment. I know, I live now in the 5th District. I voted last year by absentee ballot and thought that I had changed my registration at the time I applied for that absentee ballot. I didn't. On Monday, November 6th, I went to bed early and set my alarm clock for 2:30am Tuesday morning. I drove 4 hours plus to Hurley Virginia, in Buchanan County in order to vote. I did not run into my ex-wife at the precinct, thankfully. I was back at work by 9:30.

No comments: