Monday, January 08, 2007

One More Question Mr. Georgiou

Or Mr. Stevens, or Mr. Islam, or whatever name you might be going by nowadays. OK, I understand it's now just "Yusef". One name, like "Madonna", or "Oprah", right? (What is it with American Muslims and their inability to pick a name and stick with it, anyway? Check out Keith Ellison's many aliases. Lew Alcindor didn't have that problem, nor did Cassius Clay. Come on guys, pick one you like and stick with it.)

The musician formerly known as Cat Stevens was recently interviewed by the New York Times Magazine. It's a typical "pop star" fluff piece, until it gets to the final question.
For all your devotion to education and good deeds, government officials in various countries have tried to link you to extremist groups, including Hamas. What do you think of Hamas?

That’s an extremely loaded question.

Can you try to answer it?

I have never supported a terrorist group or any group that did other than charity and good to humankind.

O.K., but many of us here in the States would like to see moderate Muslims make more of an effort to denounce the extremist fringe of the faith. Very few mainstream Muslims have publicly criticized their radical brethren.

If I am not an example of that, then tell me, Who is?

So would you say you have contempt for a terrorist group like Hamas?

I wouldn’t put those words in my mouth. I wouldn’t say anything on that issue. I’m here to talk about peace. I’m a man who does want peace for this world, and I don’t think you will achieve that by putting people into corners and asking them very, very difficult questions about very contentious issues. [Link]
One gets the distinct impression that Mr. Islam (or whatever) was very close to having to invoke his Koran given right to lie to the infidel, had the questioning gone one step further.

No comments: